The revolutionary AquaC protein skimmers do not use venturis, downdraft tubes, or air pumps; they employ the patented "Spray Injection System." This innovation allows the protein skimmer to efficiently draw in much more air than any other of the top protein skimmers. This coupled with the superiorly designed compact reaction chamber yields results that will literally blow the waste out of your water.How does Spray Injection Work?
In 1998, Jason Kim (owner and founder of AquaC) developed a patented process of protein skimming which has come to be known as Spray Injection. Unlike previous forms of skimming, our spray injection method enables huge amounts of air and water to be processed with a relatively small pump. Although it is a simple process, there is still some confusion as to how the spray injector works.
Imagine that you`re washing your car you`ve got a bucket full of soapy water and a garden hose with a fast-moving stream of water. By placing your thumb over the end of the hose, you can disrupt the stream into a turbulent, high pressure spray. Now direct that spray down into the bucket of water, and you`ll generate a massive amount of bubbles and air flow. That is exactly how our spray injector works.
The skimmer body acts as a water reservoir the bucket in the example above. Water is pumped through the spray injector, which has a special nozzle that fans the water out into a pressurized spray. This spray shoots into the skimmer body, generating millions of tiny air bubbles. As the bubbles are formed, more air is sucked into the skimmer as a result of the local drop in pressure and the process continues.
Most other forms of protein skimming rely on special valves or media to generate the air flow, and these parts quickly become clogged with salt, dust, or even mineral deposits. The AquaC spray injector is a relatively large nozzle that resists clogging, and when combined with a pump prefilter, can be considered maintenance free.
The redesigned and improved EV Series skimmers raise AquaC`s spray injection skimming (U.S. Patent # 6,156,209, #6,436,295) to a new level in terms of efficiency, performance, and value. A new baffling system combined with a significantly larger mixing box results in far less turbulence and increased contact time. The net effect is a dramatic increase in skimmer performance despite a drop in pump pressure requirements. AquaC`s molded spray injector now generates a significantly larger number of microbubbles, boosting overall performance to unbelievable levels considering such low pump pressure requirements.Features:
- Flexible design for in-sump or external applications.
- The new EV Series skimmers are designed to run in sumps WITHOUT BEING RAISED. The output gate valve has been increased to a height of 10" (EV-120/180 models), which means that as long as your sump level is 9" or lower you will not need to worry about fluctuations having an impact on skimming consistency. The powerful EV-120 can sit in water as deep as 9".
- The addition of a precision ball valve for airflow control allows the aquarist to fine tune the skimmer`s output. Unlike most other high performance skimmers in this class, the EV is remarkably silent. The spray injection system does not generate the sucking noises typical of venturi and Beckett units.
- The John Guest "Speedfit" fitting is a great feature you will only find on AquaC ozone-equipped skimmers. This fitting is standard on models EV-240 and above, and can be ordered on the EV-120/180. Aquarists may also connect their calcium reactor effluent line to the skimmer`s speedfit connection. The pH of a calcium reactor effluent typically falls between 6.5-6.9, and over time the addition of this low pH effluent can have a deleterious effect on the system`s pH level. By dosing your effluent directly into the skimmer, excess CO2 will be "blown off" into the atmosphere and the tank pH will remain unaffected.
- The improved "Twist-Lock" collection cup and cap makes for a secure, flanged connection without the need for set screws or other locking type unions. Simply twist to crack the seal (EPDM gaskets) and removal requires a scant ¼" clearance. The new EV Series skimmers can be operated with AquaC`s auto-waste container, which are available in 2.5 and 5 liter sizes.
- Increased contact time = more protein removal. The size of the mixing box has been increased on all models by approximately 40%. To accommodate the extra foam the skimmers now feature taller and wider reaction towers, as well.
- Height: 18"
- Recommend Pumps: Mag Drive 5 or Rio 2100
- Footprint: 4.75" x 8.5"
- Foam Tower: 4" x 6" OD
- Tank Size: 40-120 Gallons
- JG Fitting: Optional 1/4" JG fitting
- Bubble Size: .03.05mm
- Water flow-thru rate: 225gph
- Volume of foam produced: 90cu.in.
- Input: 3/4" hose barb
- Output: 1" gate valve
- 5/8" collection cup drain
- 3/8" threaded air inlet
- Gate valve exit is 7" high
- Auto-waste container compatible-flanges feature EPDM gaskets
|EV 120/180 Skimmer||EV 240 Skimmer|
AquaC Protein Skimmers in Use
|This is one reef aquariums where the AquaC prototypes are tested on.|
At the time of the picture, this aquarium had been running with an AquaC EV90. Note that this aquarium is fairly heavily stocked. After this picture was taken, quite a bit more livestock has been added to this aquarium. Currently, an AquaC EV150 is running on this well-overstocked tank. AquaC feels that th
What's in the Box
- Gate Valve
Manufacturers Warranty: 90 days from date of purchase
Product Manuals & Documentation
+ Display More
- Display Less
(Posted on 6/29/13)
Comments: This is an excellent skimmer. I have been running it in my reef tank for approx. 6 yrs. and it has never failed me. I highly recommend this skimmer.
(Posted on 5/2/13)
Comments: My wife is the aquarist in the family. I would rate her experience in the hobby as intermediate. I only either build what she tells me or pays for what I can't build. I am writing the review based on the headache she has given me from complaining about this skimmer she bought sometime last year. I finally broke down and let her order a new one today. I ordered a Reef Octopus and hope it will bring her more enjoyment than this one did. She says she can not get it to skim. We have tried different size pumps. It either pours water or does not bubble enough. For a while she used her old skimmer until it wore out and then tried this one again. My last three weeks have not been pleasant. I groan each time she tries to adjust that thing. I never knew my wife knew such words, lol
Save yourself the headache and buy something else. I'll let you know how the Octopus goes.
(Posted on 4/24/13)
Comments: Ive had my Aqua C ev-120 up and running for 6 months now, and have been very unsatisfied with it. It rarely produces foam, and has required a lot of customization to get it to work... but then it stops working a day later. I must say that Aqua-cs customer service is great. They answer the phone and work with you to try to get it up and working... however the essential fact is that it still doesnt work consistently well for me. Ive followed their directions, ive used both a Rio 2100 and a Mag 5, and I installed a larger injector... all with no luck. Clearly not everone has this problem, given the other reviews, but I personally think you're lucky if you get this thing to work well right out of the box.
(Posted on 1/8/13)
(Posted on 6/13/12)
Comments: I purchased an EV-120 a year ago for my 75 Gallon reef tank - I really wanted a skimmer with as few moving parts as necessary and this skimmer does exactly that. I haven't had any trouble with the unit - until a year later - I contacted AquaC via email directly and I quickly received a return answer to help me with my problem - amazing product - amazing service - if you are on the fence, get one of these - I couldn't be happier. (It was a stupid problem and I should have been able to figure it out - my gate valve got clogged a bit causing the water level to rise too high hence no output)
Items Similar to AquaC EV-120 Protein Skimmer (no pump)