The revolutionary AquaC protein skimmers do not use venturis, downdraft tubes, or air pumps; they employ the patented "Spray Injection System." This innovation allows the protein skimmer to efficiently draw in much more air than any other of the top protein skimmers. This coupled with the superiorly designed compact reaction chamber yields results that will literally blow the waste out of your water.How does Spray Injection Work?
In 1998, Jason Kim (owner and founder of AquaC) developed a patented process of protein skimming which has come to be known as Spray Injection. Unlike previous forms of skimming, our spray injection method enables huge amounts of air and water to be processed with a relatively small pump. Although it is a simple process, there is still some confusion as to how the spray injector works.
Imagine that you`re washing your car you`ve got a bucket full of soapy water and a garden hose with a fast-moving stream of water. By placing your thumb over the end of the hose, you can disrupt the stream into a turbulent, high pressure spray. Now direct that spray down into the bucket of water, and you`ll generate a massive amount of bubbles and air flow. That is exactly how our spray injector works.
The skimmer body acts as a water reservoir the bucket in the example above. Water is pumped through the spray injector, which has a special nozzle that fans the water out into a pressurized spray. This spray shoots into the skimmer body, generating millions of tiny air bubbles. As the bubbles are formed, more air is sucked into the skimmer as a result of the local drop in pressure and the process continues.
Most other forms of protein skimming rely on special valves or media to generate the air flow, and these parts quickly become clogged with salt, dust, or even mineral deposits. The AquaC spray injector is a relatively large nozzle that resists clogging, and when combined with a pump prefilter, can be considered maintenance free.
The redesigned and improved EV Series skimmers raise AquaC`s spray injection skimming (U.S. Patent # 6,156,209, #6,436,295) to a new level in terms of efficiency, performance, and value. A new baffling system combined with a significantly larger mixing box results in far less turbulence and increased contact time. The net effect is a dramatic increase in skimmer performance despite a drop in pump pressure requirements. AquaC`s molded spray injector now generates a significantly larger number of microbubbles, boosting overall performance to unbelievable levels considering such low pump pressure requirements.Features:
- Flexible design for in-sump or external applications.
- The new EV Series skimmers are designed to run in sumps WITHOUT BEING RAISED. The output gate valve has been increased to a height of 10" (EV-120/180 models), which means that as long as your sump level is 9" or lower you will not need to worry about fluctuations having an impact on skimming consistency. The powerful EV-120 can sit in water as deep as 9".
- The addition of a precision ball valve for airflow control allows the aquarist to fine tune the skimmer`s output. Unlike most other high performance skimmers in this class, the EV is remarkably silent. The spray injection system does not generate the sucking noises typical of venturi and Beckett units.
- The John Guest "Speedfit" fitting is a great feature you will only find on AquaC ozone-equipped skimmers. This fitting is standard on models EV-240 and above, and can be ordered on the EV-120/180. Aquarists may also connect their calcium reactor effluent line to the skimmer`s speedfit connection. The pH of a calcium reactor effluent typically falls between 6.5-6.9, and over time the addition of this low pH effluent can have a deleterious effect on the system`s pH level. By dosing your effluent directly into the skimmer, excess CO2 will be "blown off" into the atmosphere and the tank pH will remain unaffected.
- The improved "Twist-Lock" collection cup and cap makes for a secure, flanged connection without the need for set screws or other locking type unions. Simply twist to crack the seal (EPDM gaskets) and removal requires a scant ¼" clearance. The new EV Series skimmers can be operated with AquaC`s auto-waste container, which are available in 2.5 and 5 liter sizes.
- Increased contact time = more protein removal. The size of the mixing box has been increased on all models by approximately 40%. To accommodate the extra foam the skimmers now feature taller and wider reaction towers, as well.
- Height: 18"
- Recommend Pumps: Mag Drive 5 or Rio 2100
- Footprint: 4.75" x 8.5"
- Foam Tower: 4" x 6" OD
- Tank Size: 40-120 Gallons
- JG Fitting: Optional 1/4" JG fitting
- Bubble Size: .03.05mm
- Water flow-thru rate: 225gph
- Volume of foam produced: 90cu.in.
- Input: 3/4" hose barb
- Output: 1" gate valve
- 5/8" collection cup drain
- 3/8" threaded air inlet
- Gate valve exit is 7" high
- Auto-waste container compatible-flanges feature EPDM gaskets
|EV 120/180 Skimmer||EV 240 Skimmer|
AquaC Protein Skimmers in Use
|This is one reef aquariums where the AquaC prototypes are tested on.|
At the time of the picture, this aquarium had been running with an AquaC EV90. Note that this aquarium is fairly heavily stocked. After this picture was taken, quite a bit more livestock has been added to this aquarium. Currently, an AquaC EV150 is running on this well-overstocked tank. AquaC feels that th
What's in the Box
- Skimmer body
- Collection cup with drain fitting
- lid for collection cup
- Rubber gasket
- Gate valve
- Instruction sheet
Manufacturers Warranty: 90 days from date of purchase
Product Manuals & Documentation
+ Display More
- Display Less
(Posted on 2/26/14)
Comments: After the initial break-in period, the skimmer works great. The mag 5 works great on a 45g adequately stocked reef tank though AquaC says the ev-120 can be "supercharged" with the mag 7. No complaints thus far with mag 5 performance. The gate valve and air valve are very sensitive so you can fine tune the skimmer very well. The skimmer is VERY efficient so don't think the lack of a Venturi or a needle wheel is a detriment.
Note with the JG fitting: if you don't have a reactor hooked up to the skimmer initially, you'll need to tape the fitting closed so that no air may enter. Otherwise, the ball-valve air intake fitting is rendered useless.
Also note that the collection cup is completely sealed save for the drain fitting. You will need to leave the drain fitting open or attach it via tubing to an open top collection jug as this is the only route through which air may escape.
(Posted on 2/26/14)
Comments: I am so glad I bought this skimmer it works great. It has no moving parts at all, so it should last a lifetime. If I were to buy another I would get one with a mag 7 pump though. The instructions in the box recommend the 7 for max performance. The mag 7 will allow you to overdrive the skimmer. If you are looking to buy a new skimmer dont hesitate, buy this one with a mag 7 pump. You will be happy you did.
works as promised
(Posted on 2/29/12)
Comments: I finally bought this after careful consideration. I have noticed much more foam production after one week. I think overall it is worth the investment. I would recommend it highly
(Posted on 10/7/10)
Comments: Have had it for more than 2 years and it it's been a great skimmer. I usually get a cup or so of dark skimmate every couple days. I drive it with a Danner Mag 5. Overall a great skimmer
(Posted on 9/15/09)
Comments: Once the tweaking ends, after a day or two, the performance of this puppy is awesome! Bare in mind, however, that tweaking can be a bit challenging at first: getting just the right amount of air to produce the bubble thickness consistency desired, placing/raising the skimmer high enough above the water sump level for consistent performance, placing the skimmer pump away from the direct return of the skimmer so as to avoid excessive wet bubble production. The results are well worth it; My corals and fish looked as if rejuvenated by the new cleaner and now highly oxygenated water.
Items Similar to AquaC EV-120 Protein Skimmer with JG fitting (no pump)