The revolutionary AquaC protein skimmers do not use venturis, downdraft tubes, or air pumps; they employ the patented "Spray Injection System." This innovation allows the protein skimmer to efficiently draw in much more air than any other of the top protein skimmers. This coupled with the superiorly designed compact reaction chamber yields results that will literally blow the waste out of your water.How does Spray Injection Work?
In 1998, Jason Kim (owner and founder of AquaC) developed a patented process of protein skimming which has come to be known as Spray Injection. Unlike previous forms of skimming, our spray injection method enables huge amounts of air and water to be processed with a relatively small pump. Although it is a simple process, there is still some confusion as to how the spray injector works.
Imagine that you`re washing your car – you`ve got a bucket full of soapy water and a garden hose with a fast-moving stream of water. By placing your thumb over the end of the hose, you can disrupt the stream into a turbulent, high –pressure spray. Now direct that spray down into the bucket of water, and you`ll generate a massive amount of bubbles and air flow. That is exactly how our spray injector works.
The skimmer body acts as a water reservoir – the bucket in the example above. Water is pumped through the spray injector, which has a special nozzle that fans the water out into a pressurized spray. This spray shoots into the skimmer body, generating millions of tiny air bubbles. As the bubbles are formed, more air is sucked into the skimmer as a result of the local drop in pressure and the process continues.
Most other forms of protein skimming rely on special valves or media to generate the air flow, and these parts quickly become clogged with salt, dust, or even mineral deposits. The AquaC spray injector is a relatively large nozzle that resists clogging, and when combined with a pump prefilter, can be considered maintenance free.
The redesigned and improved EV Series skimmers raise AquaC`s spray injection skimming (U.S. Patent # 6,156,209, #6,436,295) to a new level in terms of efficiency, performance, and value. A new baffling system combined with a significantly larger mixing box results in far less turbulence and increased contact time. The net effect is a dramatic increase in skimmer performance despite a drop in pump pressure requirements. AquaC`s molded spray injector now generates a significantly larger number of microbubbles, boosting overall performance to unbelievable levels considering such low pump pressure requirements.Features:
- Flexible design for in-sump or external applications.
- The new EV Series skimmers are designed to run in sumps WITHOUT BEING RAISED. The output gate valve has been increased to a height of 10" (EV-120/180 models), which means that as long as your sump level is 9" or lower you will not need to worry about fluctuations having an impact on skimming consistency. The powerful EV-120 can sit in water as deep as 9".
- The addition of a precision ball valve for airflow control allows the aquarist to fine tune the skimmer`s output. Unlike most other high performance skimmers in this class, the EV is remarkably silent. The spray injection system does not generate the sucking noises typical of venturi and Beckett units.
- The John Guest "Speedfit" fitting is a great feature you will only find on AquaC ozone-equipped skimmers. This fitting is standard on models EV-240 and above, and can be ordered on the EV-120/180. Aquarists may also connect their calcium reactor effluent line to the skimmer`s speedfit connection. The pH of a calcium reactor effluent typically falls between 6.5-6.9, and over time the addition of this low pH effluent can have a deleterious effect on the system`s pH level. By dosing your effluent directly into the skimmer, excess CO2 will be "blown off" into the atmosphere and the tank pH will remain unaffected.
- The improved "Twist-Lock" collection cup and cap makes for a secure, flanged connection without the need for set screws or other locking type unions. Simply twist to crack the seal (EPDM gaskets) and removal requires a scant ¼" clearance. The new EV Series skimmers can be operated with AquaC`s auto-waste container, which are available in 2.5 and 5 liter sizes.
- Increased contact time = more protein removal. The size of the mixing box has been increased on all models by approximately 40%. To accommodate the extra foam the skimmers now feature taller and wider reaction towers, as well.
- Height: 20"
- Recommend Pumps: Mag Drive 7 or Rio 3100
- Footprint: 5.75" x 9"
- Foam Tower: 5" OD
- Tank Size: 75-180 Gallons
- JG Fitting: Optional 1/4" JG fitting
- Bubble Size: .03–.05mm
- Water flow-thru rate: 275gph
- Volume of foam produced: 135cu.in.
- 3/4" hose barb water input
- 1" gate valve output
- 5/8" collection cup drain
- 3/8" threaded air inlet
- Gate valve exit is 8" high
|EV 120/180 Skimmer
||EV 240 Skimmer|
AquaC Protein Skimmers in Use
|This is one reef aquariums where the AquaC prototypes are tested on.|
At the time of the picture, this aquarium had been running with an AquaC EV90. Note that this aquarium is fairly heavily stocked. After this picture was taken, quite a bit more livestock has been added to this aquarium. Currently, an AquaC EV150 is running on this well-overstocked tank. AquaC feels that this the EV150 is probably not neccessary for the tank, but they feed their tank quite aggressively to keep all the fishes that has been added healthy and wanted to keep maintenance at a minimum. According to AquaC, maintenance on this aquarium has been extremely low.
The AquaC EV-150 protein skimmer working on our aquairum:
Please note the dry consistency and quantity of the foam being collected by the AquaC protein skimmer. This drain cup is being filled on a daily basis. There is a convenient collection cup drain connector that allows you to drain the the waste collected in collection cup into a waste container.
This particular model stands only 20" tall, so it is extremely easy to place this skimmer underneath most aquarium stands. Even the model EV200 fits very easily under most aquarium stands.
The AquaC EV skimmer working in one of our customer`s tank: