You need a lot of equipment to keep an aquarium running perfectly. Because of this, many aquarists find themselves feeling frustrated over the many demands of maintaining a healthy and beautiful aquarium.
Luckily, some devices combine at least two functions in one, so that you will no longer need to buy different pieces of equipment. Buying separate pieces is not only more expensive, but it also makes the aquarium
A device with a couple functions in it is the AquaC Urchin In-Sump Protein Skimmer with Drain Fitting + Maxi-Jet 1200 Pro Pump from Pet Store
. This interesting device is a sump and a skimmer in one. It skims the water to get ride of excess protein and also collects dirt in a sump for later disposal. It works by giving off a spray of bubbles to form foam which protein particles can stick to. Unlike regular bubbles, foam has more surface area, thus it can attract more particles.
AquaC Urchin In-Sump Protein Skimmer with Drain Fitting + Maxi-Jet 1200 Pro Pump is easy to install. You don`t need to do any plumbing at all to install it. Also, it`s quite easy to maintain. It`s a reliable device fit for the long haul.
The revolutionary AquaC protein skimmers do not use venturis, downdraft tubes, or air pumps; they employ the patented "Spray Injection System." This innovation allows the protein skimmer to efficiently draw in much more air than any other of the top protein skimmers. This coupled with the superiorly designed compact reaction chamber yields results that will literally blow the waste out of your water.How does Spray Injection Work?
In 1998, Jason Kim (owner and founder of AquaC) developed a patented process of protein skimming which has come to be known as Spray Injection. Unlike previous forms of skimming, our spray injection method enables huge amounts of air and water to be processed with a relatively small pump. Although it is a simple process, there is still some confusion as to how the spray injector works.
Imagine that you`re washing your car – you`ve got a bucket full of soapy water and a garden hose with a fast-moving stream of water. By placing your thumb over the end of the hose, you can disrupt the stream into a turbulent, high –pressure spray. Now direct that spray down into the bucket of water, and you`ll generate a massive amount of bubbles and air flow. That is exactly how our spray injector works.
The skimmer body acts as a water reservoir – the bucket in the example above. Water is pumped through the spray injector, which has a special nozzle that fans the water out into a pressurized spray. This spray shoots into the skimmer body, generating millions of tiny air bubbles. As the bubbles are formed, more air is sucked into the skimmer as a result of the local drop in pressure and the process continues.
Most other forms of protein skimming rely on special valves or media to generate the air flow, and these parts quickly become clogged with salt, dust, or even mineral deposits. The AquaC spray injector is a relatively large nozzle that resists clogging, and when combined with a pump prefilter, can be considered maintenance free.
The Urchin is a compact sump skimmer that is designed based on the popular Remora Hang-On. These skimmers share the same internal structure and are identical in terms of performance. The Urchin is designed to sit inside of a sump, and is powered by a Maxi Jet 1200. There aren`t many skimmers with such a small footprint with this level of performance. Features:
- The Urchin is built from translucent gray acrylic to inhibit the growth of algae and marine organisms.
- The skimmer can be ordered with a collection drain fitting (optional).
- The pump is attached to the skimmer via a section of flexible hose. The pump can be moved into any position you choose.
- The collection cup is removed from the skimmer by pulling it up and out of the body. Please check that you have the required 23" of vertical clearance under you stand if you are considering the Urchin.
Features and Benefits of the Maxi Jet 1200 Pro:
- Tank Size (Gallons): 20-75
- Dimensions: 19" tall x 6" wide x 2-3/4" deep
- 6" x 6" footprint (pump included)
- Minimum vertical clearance is 23"
- Water level exit height is 12-1/4"
- Includes nylon cleaning brush
- Venturi – Silent, fully adjustable aeration.
- Rotational Output – Directs water flow to needed areas of the tank.
- Impeller – Maximizes water flow.
- Adaptable Intake – Allows the power head to be used with undergravel filters.
- Omni-Directional Mount – Adjusts the pump to fit the proper current needs inside the tank.
- Propeller –Maximizes the water flow.
- Propeller Cage – Protects the propeller and tank inhabitants while minimizing flow restriction.
- Flow Rate: 295/1300 GPH