You`ve heard of this before: "It`s not the guitar, it`s the player". Or "it`s not the arrow, it`s the Indian". Both popular sayings show that it`s not the tool used, but the one wielding the tool that matters.
The same goes for filtration systems for aquariums. You can have the most expensive and sophisticated system in place, but if your filter media is of low and poor quality, then you`re not getting the clean and healthy water you`re hoping to get for your fish, plants and corals.
To make sure that your sophisticated filtration systems
get maximized, buy a good filter media such as the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Filstar Bio-Chem Stars from Pet Store
. This is one of the best forms of biological filter media you can find in the market. It can be used for both saltwater and freshwater to grow large colonies of good (or beneficial) bacteria that can kill of harmful bacteria.
The Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Filstar Bio-Chem Stars has an ideal pore size for maximized water and oxygen transfer to keep cultures of beneficial bacteria healthily thriving. This pore size makes this filter media great for growing nitrifying bacteria, which are known to remove harmful nitrites and toxic ammonia from the water.
Canister filter media designed to fit the FilStar XP. Simply the best bio-filtration media available. Optimal pore size for growing massive colonies of beneficial bacteria. Treats up to 100 gallons.Bio-Chem Stars® - for fresh and salt water:
- Grows massive colonies of beneficial bacteria
- Provides more growing area than plastic balls, foams or undergravel filters
- Advanced polymer material has optimal pore size for maximum oxygen and water transfer
- 20 stars support up to a 100 U.S. gallon (379 L) aquarium
Bio-Chem Stars are a biological filtration medium that provides a substrate for the optimal growth of beneficial bacteria. Their internal pore structure is formed under a patented process that creates a 50-70 micron internal pore network. This pore size is optimal for the growth of beneficial bacteria, including nitrifying bacteria that remove toxic ammonia and nitrite. It also allows the best oxygen and water transfer through the star, which keeps bacterial colonies healthy and active. Because of this complete internal colonization, Bio-Chem Stars are the most efficient biological filter medium available for use in FilStar Canister Power Filters.Directions for use in RENA® FilStar Filters:
- One 20-count bag of Bio-Chem Stars should be used for every 100 U.S. gallons (380 L) of aquarium water
- Remove Bio-Chem Stars from plastic bag and rinse thoroughly to remove any dust.
- Place Bio-Chem Stars in the last (top) compartment in the FilStar filter.
- Bio-Chem Stars will become colonized by bacteria within several weeks. Using STRESS ZYME® will help in the development of the biological filter.
Because Bio-Chem Stars do not break down or clog, they may be used indefinitely. Continuous water flow is necessary to maintain living colonies of bacteria. Use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Test Kits to monitor water quality weekly.