Canister filter media designed to fit the FilStar XP. Super high porosity rings have greater surface area than conventional ceramics.Ceramic Rings - for fresh and salt water:
- Made from extremely porous ceramics for maximum surface area.
- Permits the growth of large colonies of beneficial bacteria.
- Durable – require no cleaning or maintenance
Ceramic Rings are specially designed for use in all FilStar filters. They have a higher cumulative pore volume per liter than standard biological media used in most canister filters. Their highly porous, hollow design effectively distributes water flow and allows massive colonies of beneficial bacteria to grow on and inside each ring, creating an ideal "biological filter." FilStar Ceramic Rings create the ideal substrate for the growth of nitrifying bacteria that remove toxic ammonia and nitrite from aquarium water. They will not break down in the filter or alter pH or water hardness.Directions for use in RENA® FilStar Filters:
- One 1-liter bag of Ceramic Rings should be used for every 75 U.S. gallons (285 L) of aquarium water.
- Remove Ceramic Rings from plastic bag and rinse thoroughly to remove any dust.
- Place Ceramic Rings in the last (top) compartment in the FilStar filter.
- FilStar Ceramic Rings will become colonized by bacteria within several weeks. Using STRESS ZYME will help in the development of the biological filter.
With normal use, FilStar Ceramic Rings will not need to be replaced or cleaned. Good bacterial growth is evidenced by a brownish film growing on the rings. This film should NOT be cleaned off. Continuous water flow is necessary to maintain living colonies of bacteria. Use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Test Kits to monitor water quality weekly.