Maintain the sparkle of clean and clear aquarium water with the use of Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Filstar Nitra-Zorb from Pet Store
. This canister filter media is tailor-fitted to the Filstar XP. The nitro-zorb contains powerful meshed fibers that do not break easily despite the strong currents of water that passes through it. This media has tiny holes that allow water to seep into them. The media then instantly absorbs and captures pollutants like dirt, foul odors, discoloration, and harmful substances. Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and other compounds that make the water cloudy are quickly neutralized and maintained at non-toxic levels.
This product filters the water through mechanical, chemical and biological processes. The canister, the nitra-zorb and the Filstar XP work together in perfect harmony. The result is clean and fresh filtered water that is beneficial to the health and the well-being of your aquatic inhabitants
The Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Filstar Nitra-Zorb is used for freshwater tanks only. It is perfect for extremely fine filtration of water. It is also designed to treat newly set up aquarium tanks or in tanks that just had the aquarium water changed. With the regular use of this nitra-sorb, you do not have to change the water frequently to enjoy clear and shining waters in your tank.
Canister filter media designed to fit the FilStar XP. For complete removal of Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate from freshwater. Rechargeable pouch.Nitra-Zorb™ - for fresh water
- Tested and used by Jack Wattley, world famous discus breeder
- Removes ammonia, nitrite and nitrate from freshwater aquariums
- Designed to be used when setting up a new aquarium
- Ideal when breeding fish orraising sensitive species
- Protects against sudden ammonia and nitrite "spikes" and "surges" inestablished aquariums
Nitra-Zorb is the first water filtration medium that removes ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in freshwater aquariums. Nitra-Zorb is a blend of natural and synthetic ion-exchange resins that selectively removes ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Nitra-Zorb, when used in new aquariums, controls the level of toxic ammonia and nitrite during the initial development of the biological filter. In established aquariums, Nitra-Zorb helps control sudden spikes in ammonia and nitrite from the addition of new fish or anytime ammonia or nitrite is detected.Ammonia and Nitrite in the Aquarium:
Nitrate in the Aquarium:
- Tropical fish continuously release ammonia. Urine, solid waste and uneaten fish food also release ammonia as they decompose. Nitrifying bacteria in the biological filter convert toxic ammonia to nitrite (also toxic) and then to relatively harmless nitrate. This process is called the nitrogen cycle. Newly set-up aquariums do not have enough nitrifying bacteria to keep ammonia and nitrite at safe levels. It can take 4 to 6 weeks for the nitrifying bacteria to become established and form an efficient biological filter. It is during these first weeks that most aquarists experience fish loss due to high ammonia and nitrite levels. The diagram shows the ammonia and nitrite levels in new aquariums, both with and without using Nitra-Zorb.
- Elevated ammonia levels damage the gills of fish, preventing oxygen uptake. Nitrite entering the blood combines with hemoglobin and prevents blood from carrying oxygen, resulting in stress and suffocation. Even very low levels of ammonia or nitrite can cause detrimental metabolic changes, leading to a greater susceptibility to disease. Even in established aquariums, ammonia or nitrite can be a problem. Each time a new fish is added to an aquarium, the biological filter must adjust to the higher level of waste being produced. When medications and remedies are used, the biological filter is often disrupted. Under these conditions, ammonia and nitrite can reach harmful levels.
Scientific research has shown that nitrate is relatively harmless to freshwater fish. However, many breeders of tropical fish feel that low nitrate levels are "more natural" and, therefore, better for tropical fish. Nitrate has also been shown to negatively affect the uptake of nutrients from food. Nitra-Zorb will reduce nitrate and promote a more natural balance in the aquarium.Nitrate Removal:
Nitra-Zorb is excellent for continually scavenging nitrate from freshwater systems. Keep in mind that many water supplies contain nitrate. Test tap water used in the aquarium for nitrate. Many aquariums may contain over 300 ppm of nitrate and will require a week or longer to lower nitrate levels. Recharge Nitra-Zorb every 5 days until nitrate is reduced to 20 ppm or less. Then, recharge Nitra-Zorb every 2 weeks, or when nitrate levels exceed 20 ppm.Directions for use in RENA® FilStar Filters:
- Remove Nitra-Zorb pouch from plastic bag.
- DO NOT open Nitra-Zorb pouch. One 210 g pouch should be used for every 55 U.S. gallons (208 L) of aquarium water.
- Rinse Nitra-Zorb pouch under tap water to remove any dust.
- Place filter pouch directly in FilStar filtration basket after (above) filter foams.
- Recharge filter pouch every 5 days until safe nitrate levels ar