Aquarium filters have been proven effective in cleaning out your fish tank. However, there are certain organic particles that clog onto your filter leading to damage or even death of your fishes! One of these elements that get stuck on your fish tank filter is phosphates. Phosphates are substances that come from the accumulation of dead plant, animal material or even from frozen fish food. Too much phosphate build up can no longer be filtered and are trapped on the filter itself. If this process goes on, the filter might break down and this would lead to a greater expense.
The Kent Marine Phosphate Sponge from Pet Store
prevents this from happening. This product is a sponge-like ceramic substance that absorbs phosphates within hours of placement inside the aquarium. Unlike other products, Kent Marine Phosphate Sponge is not an algaecide. Algaecides are known to inhibit the growth of algae in the fish tank. This is inefficient if the fish
you own eats algae. Therefore, using a ceramic phosphate sponge is definitely a better choice. Remember however that proper handling of the phosphate product- like wearing of plastic gloves must be done in order to avoid unwanted accidents. Although it is safe to use, it is still a chemical that can harm our skin when it is placed in the water.
Kent Marine Phosphate Sponge is not an algaecide, but a ceramic medium which will adsorb phosphates quickly (within hours) when placed directly in the water flow. Works in fresh and saltwater aquariums or ponds to bring about 1.0 ppm of phosphate or silicates down to less than .05 ppm in a 120 gallon tank for every dry quart of medium. For silicate to be removed, phosphates must first be removed. Beads are cracked to expose more surface area and increase efficiency! This product will not release soluble aluminum compounds into your aquarium, causing negative reactions from your inverts, as competing products may. Will also absorb moisture for use as an air dryer for ozone, and can be renewed over and over in moisture removal service!
Rinse with fresh water (preferably reverse osmosis or deionized water) WARNING: PRODUCT MAY GET VERY HOT THE FIRST TIME IT IS WET! Use rubber gloves and/or place in a plastic container while rinsing! Place in a large mesh bag (800 micron) or a canister filter, directly in the water flow. Make sure water flows through the material and not just around it. Leave for 8 hours to 2 days maximum (as with any phosphate adsorber, phosphates can be re-released into the system if initial charge is left in the system continuously. If you want to leave in the system to keep phosphates low or to remove silicates, replace initial charge with brand new, and change on a regular basis.) For silicate removal, phosphate must first be removed, then a new charge of Phosphate Sponge must be left in the system for several days.
Considerations for use:
Many municipal water companies add phosphates to the tap water to assist in controlling lead consumption by humans. Sodium Silicate (water glass) is also added to help reduce pipe corrosion. Phosphates and silicates also naturally occur in rivers and lakes. Phosphates and silicates are nutrients or fertilizers which, given proper lighting and other nutrients, will promote rapid growth of undesirable algae, diatoms and cyanobacteria. When used as directed, Phosphate Sponge will lower the levels of these fertilizers to help reduce growth of these unsightly nuisances. Successive replacement of charges of Phosphate Sponge may encourage a die off of hair algae!
For phosphate removal, renewal may or may not be possible, depending on conditions of use. At best, product may be renewed two times, depending on circumstances of use, and capacity will be much lower each time. To renew, spread 1/4" thick on a baking pan. Place in a 450 degree oven for one hour. Let cool. Rinse with fresh water and re-use. When reusing, leave for 8 hours, maximum. Do not use pan for food.
WARNING: PRODUCT MAY GET VERY HOT THE FIRST TIME IT IS WET! Use rubber gloves and/or place in a plastic container while rinsing!