If you own an aquarium you will know how dangerous ammonia can be. Ammonia is a naturally occurring compound which is produced when your fishes' excrement on the water breaks down and releases its chemicals. One of these chemicals is ammonia. Ammonia breaks down into further components which can then be used by your plants. However, ammonia can be quite toxic to your fishes
if it is concentrated enough. There are many ways to remove ammonia in your system.
The most common way is thru a biological filter and a carbon filter. Biological filters break down the ammonia quickly into less harmful compounds whereas carbon filter sucks the ammonia out of the water. There is another way for treating your water so that ammonia can be dealt with effectively and efficiently. It is a water conditioning treatment called Kordon Amquel® Ammonia/Chloramine Remover from Pet Store
This compound not only removes ammonia but also hinders chloramine. It is a very powerful water cleaning system and it is a much faster alternative than organic ammonia cleaning systems which use bacteria and organic absorption system. So if you are looking for a faster way to remove ammonia and chloramine in your water, try Kordon Amquel® Ammonia/Chloramine Remover.
- A true one-step liquid ammonia and chloramine remover
- Simple to Use
- The original product that established the state-of-the-art in water conditioning technology regarding ammonia removal.
- 1 Gallon jug - treats 7,693 gallons
The original product that established the state-of-the-art in water conditioning technology regarding ammonia removal.PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
To avoid confusion it should be recognized that there are two products with the Amquel name - the original AmQuel and the recently improved product AmQuel+. AmQuel+ does all that AmQuel does and a significant number of additional tasks as well. See in "ABOUT CONDITIONERS " the section "Comparison Between AmQuel and AmQuel+".
Kordon AmQuel, developed about 20 years ago, is the original product that established the state-of-the-art in water conditioning technology regarding ammonia removal. AmQuel quickly and effectively removes ammonia, chlorine and chloramines (three of the most toxic chemicals commonly found in aquatic systems) from freshwater and salt water. AmQuel is the first to be a true one-step liquid ammonia and chloramine remover that is simple to use. AmQuel is completely unlike dechlorinators which claim to "remove" chloramines. These products only break the chlorine-ammonia bond of chloramines by simple dechlorination, leaving the ammonia in the water. The resulting ammonia must be removed by bacterial action which can take days or weeks or by adsorption on granular or powdered zeolites (clinoptilolites). In addition, AmQuel functions as well in salt water as it does in fresh water; whereas zeolites do not remove ammonia in salt water.SPECIFICATIONS:
Contains 100% sodium hydroxymethanesulfonate.DOSAGE WITH LIQUID AMQUEL PRODUCTS:
The "Standard Dose" of AmQuel is one teaspoon (5 ml) per 10 gallons of fresh or salt water, or one liquid ounce (30 ml) per 60 gallons of water, or one cup (8 liquid ounces - 20 ml) per 480 gallons of water. For other measurements estimate the amounts needed, such as 1/4 teaspoon for 2.5 gallons of water, or 3 teaspoons for 30 gallons, etc.
- To remove chlorine and chloramines (chlorine combined with ammonia) out of the tap from public water supplies add one Standard Dose (see definition above) to the water to break the bond between the chlorine and ammonia, and to remove all the chlorine, and ammonia that may be in public water supplies. This will remove up to 3 mg/L chloramines (as monochloramine, NH2Cl). No greater dose is needed for removing chloramines or chlorine from public water supplies.
- To remove toxic ammonia compounds that build up in aquariums and ponds from the excretion of body wastes by fishes, invertebrates, bacteria, and other aquatic organisms start with a Standard Dose (see definition above). This Standard Dose not only removes the chlorine and chloramines described above, but will also remove (detoxify) at the same time 1.0 mg/L (= approx. 1.0 ppm) of all ammonia compounds in fresh or salt water. Use multiple doses to remove more than 1.0 mg/L ammonia from the water.
It is suggested that the ammonia concentration of the water be tested prior to the addition of AmQuel to determine how much AmQuel is needed. Also see Contraindications for when there may be problems in the use of AmQuel). [sentence relocated] The pH of the water being treated affects the speed at which AmQuel removes ammonia. The lower the pH, the slower AmQuel works. At a pH of 7.0 (neutral) AmQuel will remove the ammonia in less than 5 minutes. Several minutes more are needed at higher pHs.
- To remove toxic nitrite, nitrate and other organic compounds that build up in aquariums and ponds from the excretion of body wastes by fishes, invertebrates, bacteria, and other aquatic organisms use AmQuel+.
AmQuel is stable indefinitely when stored in a cool, dark area away from heat and di