Developed in conjunction with the US Distributor of NP BioPellets* , the NextReef SMR1 is the first media/substrate reactor specifically designed for long term use of larger media.
Evolved from our MR1 Media/Substrate Reactors, the NextReef SMR1 fills a specialized role while retaining the quality and ease of use you'd expect from a NextReef reactor.
Two sizes are available. The SMR1 is 16" tall overall, with a 14" reaction chamber, and the SMR1 XL is 23" overall with a 21" reaction chamber.
The NextReef SMR1 is based on our standard MR1 media/substrate reactors, but with some significant changes...
- Cast blue acrylic for the main body . Made specially for us, it's both thicker and stronger than our standard tubing. The translucent blue color also serves an important purpose - it keeps out light to reduce algae and opimize beneficial bacterial growth. They're great in lighted sumps, or anywhere light exposure is a concern.
- Modified internal plenum assembly. Our original design works great with sponges and small media - the SMR1 eliminates the sponges to reduce maintenance. Since BioPellets and Zeolithic media are designed for long term use, reducing maintainence fosters system stability .
- Higher flow rates and reduced head pressure . The SMR1 comes set up to use larger fittings than our original reactors, so it flows more water with less restriction . The NextReef SMR1 flows enough water to easily fluidize larger media.
The SMR1 features plenums laser-cut from 3/16" acrylic. They're thick, they're heavy, they're strong... and they flow great.
Every NextReef Reactor is hand-crafted in the USA from the highest quality materials, and CAD engineered / CNC cut for a precise fit.Specifications:
- Recommended Tank Size: 250 gallons Marine
- Height: 16" Overall Height / 14" Reaction Chamber (405mm / 355mm)
- Width: 6" Overall (150mm)
- Reaction Chamber: 14" x 4" (355mm x 100mm)
- Total Capacity: 155 cubic inches / .68 gallons / 86 fluid ounces / 2.6 litre
- Inlet / Outlet: 5/8" 90 Degree Barb Fittings - fits standard 5/8" ID tubing