(Posted on 7/6/12)
Comments: great product was having problems clearing up fin rot in tank I tried this and it cleared it right up.
(Posted on 8/26/08)
Comments: Pleasantly surprised by the ease of use and overall effectiveness. Instructions call for a minimum of 3 days use and I used it for 7. Problem began as white tufts (typical summer transportation virus with marine fish) on fin that spread to scales in contact with fin. Saw all irritation on scales dissappear and only a tiny white spot remained after 7 days treatment. All fish and invertebrates faired well through treatment. Corals became irritated and are slowly but surely recovering. Bought 4 more bottles to keep on hand. Fairly long shelf life.
Ruby Reef Rally
(Posted on 8/16/07)
Comments: Very good product, works well.
(Posted on 4/6/08)
Comments: Unable to compare to another product, due to Ultra Life Red Slime remover not giving you ingredient information, but behaves in much the same manner.
As for doing what is states, my fish no longer appear to have velvet after the three day treatment. Does contain biological filter harming chemicals so keep an eye out for any ammonia spikes, but when I used per directions I noticed no ammonia what so ever. Those who feel the need to dose more then the recommended, just be aware of what could occur.
Happy Display - Now
(Posted on 11/28/07)
Comments: I used this product in a display tank with UV sterilization and Kent's Garlic Xtreme (i.e., with food) and my parasite problem eventually went away.
I say eventually because I used it two times in the same tank within a few days of each other. Knowing it uses formalin, I was rather concerned about using it any longer than the recommended minimum.
The first series, 5 days, I lost a Coral Beauty to the elements: bacterial infection, etc. However, I didn't have UV or garlic as additional measures in my first attempt.
The second "series," I fixed my UV filter (another story) and used garlic as an additional step. My fish no longer flashed after the 2nd day, so I stopped the Rally formalin treatment after the second day. As a note, I also did 10% water changes every couple of days during each series.
My seahorse and mushroom corals survived the 2-day series (i.e., items purchased after the first series of treatments when I thought the parasite was gone).
To be honest I'm not sure which parasite I had b/c I never saw any outward signs of a parasite except the repeated flashing (or scratching on the substrate).
During my treatments I didn't see any evidence of biological filter deterioration for both (e.g., ammonia/nitrites all zero). However, I do have 2 filters (drip and canister) on one 46G tank.
I would recommend this product with caution and would recommend other reef-safe approaches simultaneously. Formalin is a "probable" carcinogen, so beware!
Now, I have a cycled hospital tank, that wasn't available initially, and I plan to use it in the future :).
Hope the review helps!